I voted with a clean conscience today, and it felt GOOD. I didn’t give my approval to Obama’s drone strikes against civilians in countries we aren’t even at war with. I didn’t give my approval to Romney’s promise to continue, and possibly expand, those attacks.
Four years ago, I let myself be suckered. I voted for “the lesser of two evils,” and I almost threw up on the way out of the polling place. I knew it was wrong as soon as I pressed the button.
Today I was grinning.
It doesn’t matter that the third-party candidate I voted for won’t win. It’s not like Mississippi is a swing state anyway. My vote went to “No, it is NOT right to kill Pakistani (or Yemeni, or any) children in my name.” My vote went to “No, America’s problems will NOT be solved by killing everyone who hates us.” My vote went to “No, permanent war is NOT okay, even if it’s fought by remote control.”
Don’t let anyone tell you you’re “throwing your vote away” if you don’t vote for one of the corporate-approved, militaristic professional politicians the GOP and Democrats serve up to you.
Don’t let anyone tell you you’re a fool for opting out of the orchestrated drama wherein candidates who are 90% alike go to “war” over the remaining 10% … and then largely forget that 10% once they’re elected.
Don’t let anyone make you compromise because “this election is the most important in history!” They have said that about every election I am old enough to remember. And the two parties keep sharing power, sharing patronage, sharing money, and shedding blood. Very little changes.
Vote for the person you believe in, regardless of their “chance” of winning. Don’t give your approval to things you think of as evil. If you believe in the Democrat or Republican candidate, then by all means, give him your vote. But don’t vote for the lesser of two evils. Don’t do it. Don’t give your sanction to evil.
I know this is coming too late to affect anyone’s vote in this election. But I couldn’t have written it before I voted, and between work and election day communion service at our church, this was the quickest I could get it posted. But I stand by it. Vote your conscience. Be heard.