My wife wasn’t feeling good Sunday afternoon, so I decided to make supper. I went to the refrigerator, then to the freezer, and then to the pantry. I was starting to feel a little like old mother Hubbard.
We hadn’t made our big, out of town grocery run in a couple of weeks, so the ingredients I’d instinctively reach for weren’t there. But the cubbard wasn’t bare. I found (among other things) frozen cauliflower, a jar of grilled & marinated artichoke hearts, some quinoa, and our usual seasonings. So I fired up the stove top and went for it.
This time, it actually turned out well. So, now, I present, “Ma Hubbard’s Quick & Simple Garlicky Artichokes & Cauliflower.”
- Artichoke Hearts (I used Terra Verde Grilled & Marinated, maybe 1/5th of a jar)
- Cauliflower (I used frozen, a one-pound bag)
- Garlic (I used bottled minced garlic, about 2 tablespoons)
- Tomato sauce (I used a small can we had in our pantry, about 5 ounces)
- Oregano to taste
- Basil to taste
- Sugar/Splenda/Stevia to taste
- Cook your cauliflower until it is not quite done. I prefer to steam it in a microwave-safe steaming dish.
- Heat a non-stick skillet (or spray a regular skillet with non-stick spray) and add artichoke hearts, cauliflower, tomato sauce, and garlic.
- At this point, add any optional ingredients
- Stir everything together on medium heat until the artichoke hearts are broken up and everything is coated in the garlic and tomato sauce.
- Simmer on low heat until the tomato sauce has thickened down and is no longer liquid. This shouldn’t take long.
This is a savory, garlicky dish that can be too pungent for some people’s tastes. My wife likes it better with basil and sweetener. Either way, it tastes good paired with quinoa. You could also pair it with couscous, pasta, or rice, or just eat it straight out of the pan.