I love these because they’re savory and a little sweet, just like fast food breakfast sandwiches, but without the nasty heavy greasiness (and, of course, without the animal products).
- 1 block firm or extra firm tofu
- 8 slices white bread (I still love Sara Lee Artisano)
- Vegan margarine
- Jelly (I prefer grape or hot pepper jelly)
- Salt and pepper
- Onion flakes
- Optional: vegan cheeze
- Cut the tofu into 8 pieces. You’ll use 2 per sandwich
- Put the tofu in a nonstick pan on medium high heat.
- Add salt and pepper and onion flakes to the tofu
- Let it cook for 5 minutes without messing with it.
- Flip it, add more salt and pepper and onion flakes, and turn the heat down to medium
- Let it cook for 4 minutes without messing with it.
- Toast the bread while the tofu is cooking.
- Assemble the sandwiches: margarine, jelly, 2 pieces of tofu, and vegan cheeze if you like it.
The onion flakes make it extra savory, the margarine and tofu make it creamy and rich, the toast makes it crispy, and the jelly makes it sweet.